Congratulations Vicki Laveau-Harvie On Being Longlisted For The 2019 Stella Prize
Congratulations Vicki Laveau-Harvie on her longlist nomination for The Erratics.
A former academic and translator, Vicki has always believed in the power of the written word, the necessity of getting your tenses right and not using 'I' after a preposition. Comments from the judges below:
A gripping memoir, Vicki Laveau-Harvie’s The Erratics mines the psychological damage wrought on a nuclear family by a monstrous personality, set against the bitter cold of a Canadian winter. The narrative is brimming with honesty, and we are rewarded with an evocative and expansive view of a family that has more than its fair share of dysfunction. The judges were constantly delighted by this surprise of a book.
Stella Prize 2019 longlist
· Little Gods by Jenny Ackland (Allen & Unwin)
· Man Out of Time by Stephanie Bishop (Hachette Australia)
· Bluebottle by Belinda Castles (Allen & Unwin)
· The Bridge by Enza Gandolfo (Scribe)
· The Arsonist: A Mind on Fire by Chloe Hooper (Penguin Random House)
· The Death of Noah Glass by Gail Jones (Text Publishing)
· Pink Mountain on Locust Island by Jamie Marina Lau (Brow Books)
· The Erratics by Vicki Laveau-Harvie (Finch Publishing)
· Eggshell Skull by Bri Lee (Allen & Unwin)
· Too Much Lip by Melissa Lucashenko (UQP)
· Axiomatic by Maria Tumarkin (Brow Books)
· The World Was Whole by Fiona Wright (Giramondo Publishing)
The shortlist for the Stella prize will be released on 8 March, with the winner announced in Melbourne on 9 April.